|The following information and resources are being provided as part of NFPA's commitment to increasing awareness and enhancing public safety.
NFPA calls for fire sprinklers in all nursing homes
"NFPA has an obligation to be an advocate and lead on issues crucial to safety, in this case, the need is for greater safety for nursing home residents," says NFPA President James M. Shannon.
A deadly fire in a highly regulated health-care occupancy is leading to stricter sprinkler requirements for nursing homes in Connecticut, by Alisa Wolf (May/June 2003)
NFPA One-Stop Data Shop
NFPA investigation reports on other nursing home fires
- Nursing Home, Woburn, MA, 10/30/92 (PDF, 167 KB)
- Nursing Home: Dardanella, AR, 3/13/90 (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Nursing Home: Norfolk, VA, 10/5/89 (PDF, 292 KB)
- Nursing Home, Little Rock, AK, 1/12/84 (PDF, 227 KB)
- Health Care Center, Memphis, TN, 3/21/88 (PDF, 844 KB)